View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #29
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I opted for an in-bed tank as opposed to the Titan that would only give me 28 gallons more than the 37 I normally carry. The Ford longbeds have 37 and the short beds have around a 26- 27 gallon tank, which the adding the Titan would be like having the two together. I went with the ATI 51G tank as I just couldn't see spending $1600 for a tank that only gave me 28 more gallons. The ATI is in the bed and I realize that some do not want that, and that's why there are options. But since I already have an in-bed tool box and can't have a cover, I opted for the ATI. It sits in front of my tool box and is only 9" wide and a little taller than my low profile, crossover box. With the 51G in the bed, plus the weight of the tank, I am adding about 400 lbs to the bed(51x7=357 + tank weight of around 40 pounds). I have an F350 DRW.
I added the gravity flow install kit from ATI and then added a 12v electric valve(with a manual shut off as well) hooked to the Upfitter switch on the dash so I can add fuel as I need or want to. While driving and towing, it can add around half a tank(18G) in about 45 minutes. All for around $625, which is around half the cost of a Titan. Do NOT get me wrong, I love Titan tanks, but in this instance this is the way I went.
I have a friend in Montana that put a 100G transfer tank into his truck and carries 137G total. That's a lot of weight, but he is a stickler for weights and is under all of his capacities when hooked up. To each his own. Just my two cents.