Thread: Route south
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #29
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
route to San Antonio

We've done this trip 4-5 times over the last year since my daughter now lives in Texas, but we also winter in FL, so we have experience with I-20 and I-10 too. When going through Illinois, our first choice would be to take I-55 south and head to St. Louis, (we use the bypass of 270 and 265 {it's really not that bad} around the east and south side of St. Louis) and then head southwest on I-44 to Oklahoma City. Then we get on I-35 and stay on the I-35W side through Ft. Worth until it reconnects with I-35 to San Antonio. You avoid Dallas altogether if you stay on I-35W. We think this is just such a smooth and unencumbered trip. Oklahoma City can be a little challenging, but certainly not daunting. Unless you have to, I would avoid Shreveport east and south sides, (interstates are just the worst) Our second choice would be to stay on I-55 to west Memphis, then I-40 to Little Rock and I-30 to Dallas, but the transitions are not as smooth and there's more road construction. I don't like coming into Dallas on I-30, so you may want to go further south and pick up I-20 to get to I-35.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote