Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

You are right, there is a heck of a draft from that opening under the steps. In fact these things are so drafty, I've been loosely covering that opening with a piece of rug to reduce the amount of cold air coming in there. With all the other drafts, I think the furnace can do fine without this hole being totally open.
I've wondered about doing that, too, but have no idea just how much of that opening is needed to keep from straining the furnace. If anyone has any knowledge of how much can safely be covered I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Cat, do you drape something over the step so it reaches the floor but air can come in around the edges? We have a carpet runner on the steps and I could pull the screws I anchored it with and let it drape to the floor if that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe a space or two in strategic locations would hold it open enough to cut down the draft and still allow sufficient air to the furnace.
I just had this thought. Would it be possible to somehow install one-way louvers - similar to those white plastic dryer vents, but obviously larger, and maybe not white - inside that wooden grille, that would block any back flow of cold air?

Ozz, where are you???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote