Thread: truck?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #22
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I wasn't going to respond to this topic but here I am; First I went from a 3500 to a 2500HD. Why because just like richfaa stated you need to do your home work. I thought I was doing good with the dually and for a time I was but then I checked the specs of the newer trucks on the market and for what I was towing (2005 327RKS TT) and what I was loading up when we traveled, the 2500HD was the ticket. No more buying 6 tires a pop at over $1200+, no more $200 a week fuel bill, easier to park, the wife is comfortable driving it etc etc. I look at the TV just as it it were any other tool being used to get a job done. Get and use the best tool for the job.

Something else to consider for those in Florida or traveling to Florida - recently, here in Florida the FHP and DOT have been having a field day with RV'ers and pickup truck drivers. First if you drive a truck rated at more than 8,500GVWR you need a different drivers license than the standard one. Second, if you are sagging or towing and do not have the proper driver's license (if stopped) expect FHP to call in the DOT with their portable scales and guess what comes next...YOU GOT...they weigh your rig. If you are over you drop it there. If you have the wrong license you are ticketed, if over weight you are ticketed. Yes, it is happening. My brother found out the hard way just outside of Gainesville FL on US27. He received 2 tickets. I found out the hard way too but was lucky no ticket, just a warning to get a new license to drive my 2500HD! So beware there are other reasons besides safety (which is most important) to have the right truck for the job.

By the way, the Florida Congress postponed further discussion on changing the law regarding driver license requirements with respect to pickup trucks until next year. So the law is still on the books and you can still be ticketed for the wrong class license and being over weight. Monthly, I call my State Representative (Bob Allen) to tell him to please work on getting things changed for the pickup truck drivers with trucks 2500 or bigger, its just not high on the priority list. FLDOT rules in Florida apply to all vehicles, not just the big rigs. There is an exception for motor homes.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote