View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I know we have some tire experts out there so maybe someone on the forum can answer my question.

CountryGuy and Dustytuu have both described dish breakage problems in their rear kitchen 3295RK. We (and others) have not had problems with this despite having the same models.

Now, most Montanas come with Load Range E tires, max pressure 80 psi. Ours came with Load Range D tires, max pressure 65 psi. I know it's obvious there is less pressure in my D's than in your E's but there's also a tire construction difference. So, at max pressure, would a D ride more softly than an E? Enough to make a difference for the dishes riding in the back?

In case anyone wonders, the D's on ours are rated to 6,000 lbs at 65psi and the axles are 6,000 each. Actual scaled weight on the rear axles (combined) is 11,060 (pinweight 3,300). So the D's meet the specs and measured weight.

Thanks.
Steve,
All things being equal you should not notice any signifcant ride difference between D and E rated tires. If your rig is loaded accordingly and your tire pressures set for the load being carried you shouldn't notice any difference.

BTW-Just because a tire is rated at a maximum inflation of 80 psi does not mean they should be inflated to 80 psi if the maximum weight for that tire is not met.
For instance the LT235/85R16 Load Range "E" tire at 80PSI has a MAX load capacity of 3042#. At 75 PSI the load cap is 2905# and at 70 PSI it's 2765.
The same size tire in load range "D" with an inflation of 65 PSI carries a max load of 2623#, at 60 PSI the load would be 2485 and at 55 PSI it's 2335.
So using your figure of 11,060# axle weight divided by 4 comes to 2765# per tire. Now using the above figures your max inflation would be 70 PSI on a LT235/85R16 Load Range "E" tire.

For truely proper inflation you need to know the actual weight being carried and adjust the air pressure accordingly.

BUT steve, other than load range "D" you did not indicate your actual tire size so I am not able to judge whether your numbers are correct or not.

Here is a PDF link to RV Load and Inflation Tables

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote