Thread: Saying Hello
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
In reference to backing I found these suggestions to learning how to back a 5th. I went out today, followed it to the letter and found myself backing the trailer in the wrong direction. What are your thoughts on these instructions. Tip 5 seems to be backwards.

Tip 4: Get out and survey the parking area (with your spotter) for obstructions. Determine where you want the trailer to end up and pick a reference point, which will act as the "edge of the parking area".

Tip 5: Start with the truck and trailer traveling straight. You want the side you are turning into to be about 4' off the curb or edge of the road. When the tow vehicles rear axle is at the far edge of the parking space, cut your truck wheel hard away from the curb. When the truck is about a 45-degree angle to the curb (or as close as you can get given the space you have to use) straighten the wheel back to the neutral position. As soon as the truck has begun going straight, cut the wheel hard in the opposite direction until the truck is again parallel to the curb. STOP. Your trailer is now at a good angle to start backing up.

Tip 6: Jack the trailer until it get to about 15-20 degree angle of the space you are going to park it then start chasing it.

Tip 7: If your running out of space to get the truck & trailer running straight, don't be afraid to pull forward to help straighten it out.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote