Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Some questions not to hijack the thread but to gain more information about this item. I do wish I had one and would like to understand any nuances.

1. What do the TST owner's set as the temperature to monitor? Or, in other words, at what maximum value should the temperature be a concern? Or is it a matter that all the temps should be approximately the same and if one increases, then it's a concern.

I watch for all tires to be pretty close in temp. Rear TV tires run a little hotter than the front ones. The Monty's tires are all about the same as the rear tv tires. IIRC the hottest have been 105.

2. Orv, you got me curious, what temps have you read with your temperature gun? A temp gun sounds like a good tool, but DW doesn't want to hang out the TV to read the RV wheel temps when we are driving...

I've noticed temps above 200° F with pressures built up to 94 psi.

3. Where and how did you mount the monitor itself (whatever it happens to be)? Is it something you can leave in the TV all the time? Do any of you have it removable?

Art, if you go to my link in my signature "Out travels and things" you can see how i mounted my display. ( montana mods and additions) It can be removed very easy. I have mine hardwired (supplied with system)

Since we have the Pressure Pro System, I used velcro and set the monitor on the dash. (We have one of those custom made dash covers made out of the same material as the floor mats.)

4. I have heard there are two types of sensors depending on the system selected. One is mounted on the wheel inside the tire so it can't be stolen. And the one I prefer is mounted on the valve stem with some kind of antitheft mount. Are these battery powered? How long does the battery last?

Yes to battery power. Batteries are supposed to last about 5 years. I remove mine in the winter to the comfort of the house. Also, the one that screw on the valve stems should be mounted on all metal stems.

They are battery operated, batteries said to last five years. I really don't care how long they last. I'm just happy to have them. They've already saved us a lot. We have the sensors mounted on the valve stem. They are locked on by a locknut. You have to be careful to remove the sensors if you're going to have tires rotated because the technicians will break the sensors trying to remove them in order to balance the tires.

Thanks in advance!
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote