View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

I believe this to be a good idea. The 2 piece with the bolt doesn't set well with me though. Especially with only a 40lb. torque in a slotted hole. I am going to make my own out of one solid piece of 2" x 2" tubing. The only thing I question now is 1-2 or 3 of them? I can see the need for them on the shackles and even the More Ryde mount. But the more we put on these things to improve, the less weight we can take along. Just another thing that the factory has to deal with also when putting these things together. I know it seems minimal, but every pound is huge when we are already so close to over weight.

Any ideas on my thoughts here?

Thanks in advance
Dave

I too have been giving this some thought and I can't see a practical way of using one piece of tubing for the cross member. The reason is getting the fit perfect. Using two pieces allows you to mount them solidly to the shackles, and then bolt or weld them for a perfect fit. Trying to make them one piece, you would either have to shim/grind to get them exact and getting them into place might require a bit of force - which would put force on the shackles. So I've been thinking of using two pieces of tubing with a short piece of heavy wall tubing inside to tie them together. One could be pre-bolted with a couple grade 8 bolts and the other drilled and bolted once in place. Doing it this way would also be 'doable' by one person, as I seldom have help available.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote