View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Tom S - I took the picture before I put the covers back on to show the connections. I did have one cover left over from the old circuit breaker and used electrical tape the other one temporarily until I can get a cover for it.

Slickwillie. I did use the documents from Dale provided to me by Don Reilly and there were two, one with a single 80 amp solution and the second with the dual 50 amp solution.

What I don't understand is if the 50/50 is better than the single 80 and why. What I'd like is the electrical explanation that if 50+50 equal to 100 amp is better than a single 80 amp and why. Why not recommend a single 100amp then, or the single 80 amp which would be a very simple install using the existing wiring and not mess with building the shunts to install TWO circuit breakers instead of one? My electronics studies were from the early 1970's and I have forgotten how this works.

How it works is that 1/2 the current flows through each of the breakers in a parallel setup such as yours. So - two 50 amp breakers in parallel = 100 amps. As far as using one 100 amp breaker, it would act the same way but good luck on finding a single 100 amp auto reset breaker. 80's are probably easier to find though!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote