View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Tom S - I took the picture before I put the covers back on to show the connections. I did have one cover left over from the old circuit breaker and used electrical tape the other one temporarily until I can get a cover for it.

Slickwillie. I did use the documents from Dale provided to me by Don Reilly and there were two, one with a single 80 amp solution and the second with the dual 50 amp solution.

What I don't understand is if the 50/50 is better than the single 80 and why. What I'd like is the electrical explanation that if 50+50 equal to 100 amp is better than a single 80 amp and why. Why not recommend a single 100amp then, or the single 80 amp which would be a very simple install using the existing wiring and not mess with building the shunts to install TWO circuit breakers instead of one? My electronics studies were from the early 1970's and I have forgotten how this works.
Art, I know how it is. I studied electronics in 1978-79. Hard to keep on track some times.

I suspect the reason for the PDF with the two 50 amp breakers was because of convenience in finding the 50 amp breakers. You just don't find the 80 amp ones everywhere. In fact, I just added a 30 in parallel with the original 50 on our unit. I couldn't find anything over 30 near the stick house. The fifties are readily available here on the coast, at both RV and Marine dealers. Haven't seen the 80 anywhere here though.

I wouldn't say one was better or worse than the other. The two fifties just give you another 20 amps of current available at the pump. If it don't need it, it will never use it. There have been continuing questions about the wire size to the pump. From what I know and have researched, the wire is plenty adequate for the current draw.

Our problems started when I replaced the LR/DR slide cylinder. The new cylinder was extremely tight, and required more current to operate. The tech at our dealer told me they were adding the 50 in parallel on new units, and someone on here sent me the PDF, so I decided to try the 80 amp combo. It cured our problems.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote