View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey BB TX... Thanks to Glenn for posting the "2nd Air Conditioners" topic. There is a lot of the information you seek.

I learned that the 2nd AC prep on my 2006 3500RL consists of the junction box and only the black wire, white wire and bare wire going to the circuit breaker at the IOTA converter to provide power. There are no thermostat wires. Tapping into the existing ducting would be tricky (but doable).

May I suggest you open the blank panel at the ceiling and verify which are wires present? If you have additional wires than the power wires, these are probably for the thermostat and can be used for controlling the new unit from the standard common thermostat control. As an option, then you might want to remove the frame cover for the overhead vent where you will be mounting the new unit and look in the ceiling space for a way to tie into the existing ducting so that the new unit can work with the current unit to help cool the whole rig instead of just the area where it's installed. Otherwise like me, the new unit would just cool the area it's installed and some cool air would trickle down into the main area.

In either case an additional 13,500 BTU of cooling should help a lot. Others have mentioned 15,000 might be overkill and I kinda agree.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote