View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Just a suggestion, but call a dealer and ask what the option costs on the unit you want? It might vary by model.

I wish solar were that simple but... I'd do a little more research before buying.

From experience... 265 watts of solar won't power a lot, and it's useless if you want to power a residential fridge (think large battery bank and AT LEAST 4 or 5 times that wattage). If you have an RV style fridge, 265 watts could be great if you just want to make sure you have enough electricity when traveling between full hookups or to get your batteries through a long weekend without running a generator. Hair dryers, coffee makers, microwaves, etc.. suck a lot of power in a short amount of time.

Figure out what you want to power with it first, and see if it's enough. If you have an RV style fridge, that's enough for lights and some other occasional electric use. I'm not sure it's what I'd call normal electric use though, and that also depends on where you are located, and what time of year it is. Non-tilting panels won't give you the full 265 watts either.

The idea of having the solar wiring there from the factory (running the wires is a pain) is appealing, but unless the full kit comes with the right wiring, nice inverter, and a good charger, you may end up having to upgrade later. Then there's things like how far the run from the charger is to the battery, and the size of those cables. If they skimp on the cables, charger, inverter, etc... you could loose a significant amount of that 265 watts.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote