View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the Winegard Carry Out. Just remember that there are no domes presently on the market that will receive two satellites at one time. If you are going to watch different stations on different televisions you will need a portable antenna with TWO LNB's. Do not confuse Dual LNB output with TWO LNB horns. Because you are going to be "turned off" more than the "on" system, the pay as you go with DISh would seem to me to be the better choice. The Carry out is a Dual LNB output. You can feed two receivers from the one Carry Out. I use the VIP 322 from the house. It will automatically, with the right cable hook ups, display on two different televisions - one channel. Since DISH uses 3 satellites for their down streaming, switching to a different channel in the back bedroom could cause the front tv to change also. With a DUAL (two horn) LNB you would be able to get the two primary satellites, typically 110 and 119 and be able to view different channels on each television. The third satellite, 129, is primarily for HD Programming. There are some HD programming on 110, and 119, but the majority is on 129. HD is a requirement for us since we are so used to it. Also, the VIP 322 is a DVR, so prior to traveling we can record a lot of hours of movies, etc., and play them back when on the road. When doing that you do not even have to hook up the antenna. There are 3 methods of setting up the Winegard Carry Out. Just put it on the ground, use the little tripod made for it, or use the ladder mount made for it. The ladder mount is between $250-300 at present day. The tripod, which I use is about $80.

There is no fool proof way to secure a portable satellite antenna. For my Carry Out, I modified the tripod plate that has a 1/4x20 screw for securing the plate to the Carry Out. I purchased an eye-bolt, 1/4x20 and screwed it through the plate and into the built in screw point. I then double nutted it on the inside of the dome, and the underside of the plate. I bought 40 feet of chain that cannot be cut with pair of pliers (bolt cutter would work), and only 40 feet because that is all they had, and I secure both ends with a padlock. It keeps the honest people honest, and 99.99% of campers are honest. It's the drive by's that I worry about. If you do decide on the Carry Out, it comes with a 50 foot power cable that needs a cigarette lighter plug in. I purchased a converter that would handle the current and plug it into my electrical bay.

The Carry Out is totally automatic. Turn it on, turn on the satellite, do a "Check Switch," wait a few minutes, and there you go. takes about 5 minutes or less to put it in position and hook up the cables.

Happy trails
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote