Thread: dust cover
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have the EZ-Lube hubs. If that's what you have, to remove the shiny cover, you jack up trailer and remove the wheel, then it should come off since the wheel is what holds it in place.

As for the bearing dust cover, I find it easier to use 1retired06's method and as you wedge it out using a screwdriver make sure you use slight pressure all around the cover and do not force it off at the same point so it comes off easily and evenly - the dust cover should be removed in an outward manner, do not push in toward the hub. The cover is held on by friction and you are trying to separate the cover from the hub in such a way not to compromise the round shape and pressure it uses to stay in place.

Like dieselguy suggests, when working with this cover, do not use metal hammers. A rubber mallet works great to put it back in place. You gently hammer around the round edges to get it back into place with the rubber mallet (I've seen some people use wood but be careful if the edges are squared off). Be careful though, because wailing away on the cover even with a rubber mallet could still dent the cover and this is what you are trying to avoid.

Even using the best procedure, I have lost one dust cover on a prior trailer's tandem wheel when I ran over some road debris (the other wheel's cover was fine). It took me several days to find a replacement because you have to know the exact size. Too bad they sold it in a pair. Now I have an extra (I haven't checked but it probably doesn't fit on the Monty).

I hope I'm remembering correctly. I still some months away from needing to repack the bearings. Then, it will come back to me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote