View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess you'll find a consensus here. The Honda portable units especially the EU2000 are just the right size for most RVers. The EU1000 is too small and is popular with tenters and at tailgate parties for a TV or some tunes but that's about it. The advantage to the EU2000 is that it is the smallest lightest unit that can be combined via a "parallel cable" to double the capacity to support a 30 amp RV. The EU3000 has better capacity, but just because it has a handle does not means it's portable. Likewise the EU3000 can be cabled to provide EXCELLENT RV power (6000w peak but easily about 4500w run rating. You could probably use it for a 50amp rig. BUT, they're way bigger and heavier (at least for me).

While the 2000 and 1000 refer to the max wattings of the units their running watts are actually much smaller (about 1400w and 700w typical). This is why two EU2000 rated at 4000w will provide about 2800W for an RV quite comfortably, therefore you must still be careful with starting up the microwave AND air conditioner at the same time. One problem with this solution is that the fuel tanks are quite small so you must monitor the gas (be careful refueling a generator that has been running for a while) and you probably need to refuel at least everyday. Another problem is that the deviant world knows about these little treasures and if you scout around the forums you'll see discussions of several of us trying to secure these somehow. One member actually had both units and parallel cable stolen WHILE THEY WERE ASLEEP and they were even cable-locked. Thieves just cut the cable and away they went (that's how portable they are.)

Bad news aside, I am the proud owner of dual EU2000s (see my signature). I have not EVER boondocked with them, but want to as soon I feel comfortable about securing them. Every trip I take both along and at least one of them with my air compressor to enable me to air up my TV or RV whenever needed. I fire one the generator, fire up the compressor and fill up anything with the long air hose I have. Each unit weighs less than 50 lbs (with fuel and oil) so I am able to put them in the back of my truck bed. When I am not towing my 5er I can close my truck bed cover for some extra security. I cannot do that with any other generators!

Yamaha re-entered the portable unit market to compete directly against Honda but their units are even MORE expensive, so I didn't bother.

Pricewise the portable solution is much more expensive per capita than a standalone 4000w generator. But a standalone generator is VERY heavy, large, awkward and loud. As I read someone else mention prior, many people have had bad luck with "Far-East" manufactured units. They are very expensive but they are not as robust, do not last as long and I have heard that many customer also doubt that the units meet their documented specs because of reported brownouts or failures. I looked at these quickly and decided I'd rather have something I wanted to last for a long time, rather than keep replacing.

I hope to eventually get a generator installed in my RV permanently but with the EU2000s I can now wait for as long as I feel like it. And I also don't mind loaning it to fellow campers in a pinch, too.

Good luck on your selection.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote