View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have DISH Network. I had a lower end King Dome in the 3400RL. It had two feeds, but one LNB. I could pick up sat's 110 and 119, but had to switch between the two. Some HD was carried on one of those, but sat 129 carries the most HD is what I have been told.

Got rid of the 3400 and I now use the DISH 1000 Plus with 3 LNB's. My last trip out was the first time to use it. PITA for the first time, and most likely the next couple of times, but I had all three satellites.

Here is the nicer thing a out DISH. I have the VIP-722 DVR. It has two sat inputs but I run one line from the 1000 Plus through a DP-44 and another one I can't recall right now. The 722 is a dual tuner that can be run in single mode or dual mode. (More on that later) The 722 feeds an output to another television. In the 3400, I fed that output to the tv in the bedroom. (Here's the more) When in single mode I could watch one channel on both tv's. When in DUAL MODE I COULD WATCH TWO INDEPENDENT CHANNELS ON EACH tv at the same time. (Not yelling, just making sure it's understood that one receiver feeds two tv's with each tv being able to receive different channels at the same time using two RF remote controls. I really like that option. DW can watch Food Network and cook me some good meals, and I can watch FOX Network for good news. (No discussion on that please).

Now here is another kicker. There is no need to use a tripod. (Next trip I'll do this) Instead, using 1" PVC filled with sand or cement, stood two inches off the ground, you point the dish straight up into the air and receive a signal. (Instructions by email if you email me) There is a little interpolation required for AZ, ANGLE, and SKEW, and a 3/16" hole drilled in the dish for water drainage. It's amazing how corrupt a signal will get when the dish fills up.

My last time out, in San Antonio, I saw one in action. Here is what it looks like:

Edited: Image taken of another web site that has since been deleted:
Information below same:

Because the Dish is moved through 90 degrees. Elevation is taken from 90.
Because Dish is flipped through 180 degrees. Skew is taken from 180.

Example. for ZIP Code 93426

Normal Dish upside down
Azimuth 154 = Remains at 154
Elevation 48 = (90 - 48) = 42
Skew 82 = (180 - 82) = 98
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote