View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #41
CVNCheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #18393
You mentioned getting a generator. Presume you're thinking of an installed generator. If you're planning on a lot of dry camping then go gas. If it's the occasional run, maybe propane but in the end you just don't have enough propane onboard for extended runs. I have a 7KW Onan. It runs everything and only on rare occasion do I need to remind DW about which outlets / appliances are on which side and what can be run simultaneously and what can't. I have a 12gal and a 6gal marine tank depending how long we intend to (dry) camp and how often we expect to go out for supplies.

If you're thinking external, before I installed the Onan, I got by on a Honda Eu3000is with a 30A transfer switch between the generator plug (added to the front compartment) and the inverter. That allowed me to lock the generator to the hitch and run off a 10' cord. I could run one large load (AC, Microwave, or Coffee pot) and most of the smaller "hotel loads" without issue. The Honda is the gold standard in portable generators. I went with the Onan so I didn't have to hump the generator in and out of my truck.

In either case, Easy Start for both ACs. Makes a world of difference, specially on the small generator.

2010 3400RL
2013 F350 6.7L DRW
CVNCheng is offline   Reply With Quote