View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
in Retirement HOA Fees VS private Maintanance fees

My Wife and I have been taking a lot into consideration approaching retirement.

We have looked into condo's and developments with monthly fees. Taxes are generally separate fees.

I'm trying to gather thoughts from those who have already done this and have experience with the same questioning I'm having. What am I missing and looking for the benefits of private property vs association property or condo property.

So I'm on the mind set that a 400 to 600 or more HOA fee or any other fee what ever they are calling it is just another lifetime expense.

Sort of like renting an apartment vs owning a home back when we were in our 20's, except we didn't own anything and it was just rent which went from 800 to 1200/ month in a matter of a few years during the housing boom.
Yes we end up building equity in the property itself. However if the HOA fees become close to the mortgage then what is the benefit.

I'm of the mindset I don't like to pay anyone to do anything I'm capable of doing myself. I like mowing the lawn. It is somewhat good for me mentally and physically. We are in the north east and I dislike snowblowing and cleaning off the cars and then moving them and cleaning up the snow after that operation. IT can be endless and daunting task for those 4 or 5 months out of the years.

I honestly would like to look into a campground setup like those in Myrtle Beach or something similar. Purchase a few or a home there and rent out a couple of units for income. NO Snow. Maybe have a park model here in the North East for the summer months campground for 3 to 5K a year in Maine or NH, near the Ocean for June thru September.

I have a whole other bunch of questions also. IT is a big step and trying to pre plan is the most difficult.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any dialog you can provide would be helpful.

Maybe at a later date. We can discuss residency laws and rules. I love New Hampshire but she wants to go south. She wants FL, I'm thinking Carolina's.