View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I just want to know how to make a phone call

Wireless phones, everyone and their 12 year old kid has one, the 12 year old knows 10 times more about it’s functions than adults, I would guess.
I need certain things in a phone, it has to make calls, receive calls, and take messages if I am in a noisy bar and can’t hear it. All this can be explained to me in a single page of instructions.
OK, I got a few extras, the walkie-talkie for instant back and forth with a person or group(s) and a vibrate when in meetings (or in the bar) mode. To get these features, I had to get a phone that has a 220 page instruction book on how to operate all the different operations in this gizmo.
It almost seems it was the product of some super-geek, who won a bet at the malt shop from his (or her) peers where they meet and compare pocket protectors. My hat’s off to them. It takes a M.I.T. scholar to understand this stuff.
You can take movies, even with a small spotlight, record conversations and grocery lists, Java apps. whatever that is, has GPS, a date book, call waiting, 2 phone lines, text messaging, e-mail, Internet, hands free, and on and on.
Many times I accidentally hit one of the buttons and something doesn’t work. I had to super-glue one of the buttons so it wouldn’t get pushed when I am rolling around on the floor fixing a furnace or air conditioner. Sometimes the phone calls someone, it’s kind of an adventure, I get to talk with people I haven’t seen for a while, still don’t know how that happens.
The Geeks think of everything, there are two digit codes, I guess as shortcuts, just press # or * and the code. Now I have to try and remember the codes, phone numbers and how to call them. Never have used that.
I can’t even see the screen without my reading glasses, one of the features they are proud of is caller ID, by the time I get the phone out of the holster, find my reading glasses and get them on, the thing went to voice mail message, then I have to pull off the road and spend 5 minutes figuring that out.
I guess the skinny smart kid with the pocket protector I made fun of in high school, gets the last laugh…

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote