Thread: Charger scare
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Charger scare

Yesterday afternoon my wife came and told me that an alarm was going off in the 5th wheel. When I went to check it out I found that it was the carbon monoxide sensor under the fridge. Well I tried the lights and nothing, the batteries were dead. So I went to the front to inspect and found that my new Schlumberger battery tender had burned the positive wire apart and therefore the battery's were dead. Lucky it hadn't started a fire. I had the coach unplugged and had just the battery tender hooked up to the battery's to keep them charged over the winter. I don't like leaving the shore power plugged in because it tends to overcharge the battery's. I am now a little afraid to go back to the battery tender method for fear that the next time I may come home to a smoldering mess or maybe worse, with 2 propane bottles within inches of the battery's the whole neighborhood and us could be history. Do you think it was just a faulty charger or operator error?
I have 3 deep cycle battery's in the coach and I hooked the positive up to the 1st in the series and the negative to the last in the series. I am running 12 volt battery's. I have always used this method before and never had a problem. Thanks

restez is offline   Reply With Quote