View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with the others about the early Dodge automatics not being able to handle the torque from the diesel very well. But, as also has been said, starting with the newest 4 speed auto, the 48RFE or something similar to that the autos seem to be very strong. Believe me, I researched this very carefully before writing the check for this Dodge. And I have to say this 6speed automatic is absolutely awesome. I read in one review where someone thought it shifted too hard so I've been watching ours closely. No hard shifts in this one. None. This is on excellent automatic. And the tow/haul is smarter than anything else I've ever driven, both gaining speed and slowing.

Like some others who have commented, I learned on a stick and have owned a number of them. But years ago the fun factor got outweighed in my mind by the hassle factor and it's been automatics ever since.

Skypilot, I guess Dodge is now very confident an exhaust brake will not harm the 68RFE automatic six speed transmission. Dodge puts an exhaust brake on all diesels now. At least with the automatic. And probably with the manual, too. And a sweet exhaust brake it is.

Dsprik, there may still be some accomplished stick shift drivers who can out mpg the newer automatics but the few head to head tests I've seen had the automatics getting the better mileage. It wasn't that long ago when the reverse was true.

This Dodge tow/haul works pretty much the same as the tow/haul on my Ford torqueshift except on slowing it seems to downshift sooner, meaning less time between downshifts, and smoother than my Ford did. And I was very pleased with the Ford so you can imagine how I feel about this Dodge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote