View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #17
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
HJK,

I agree that it is very much like comparing apples and oranges since the various products are focused on providing differnt types of protection. It is true that the 324 focuses solely on preventing damage due to very fast, high voltage surges. It does not monitor high or low voltage variations, frequency changes, nor does it disconnect power to the rig under these types of circumstances. Protection of the rig for these types of problems must be left to other devices.

And the manner inwhich these devices are connected ends up effecting how well each device can do its job. For example the operational input range of the Hughs autoformer goes down to 94 VAC. If the 34750 or the PT50 were connected into park power, and the autoformer connected into it, in low voltage situations below 102VAC, power would be shut off to the autoformer before it had the chance to boost the voltage. For this reason, many suggest the autoformer be connected to park power first. Doing this however, reduces the effectiveness of the voltage monitoring/wiring testing of the 34750 or the PT50.

So, it sort of comes down to your experience as to what often causes the most problems during your travels. To my knowledge, I've never encountered AC frequency problems. I have encountered park miswiring problems, but nothing that has ever damaged anything. I often have encountered low voltage problems - thus truely see the value in an autoformer-type device. I have also encountered high voltage surge spike problems and have had equipment at my home, office and in the rig damaged because of this - more so than any other problem (when it comes to damage). That's why I personally focus first on surge protection. And it is the UL 1449 2nd Edition spec that specifically addresses this. I think you will find that none of the products typically offered for RV use are certified to 1449.

The experiences of others may cause them to focus first on other problems.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote