View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
3400's GVWR low? options=liability risk?

I'm a newby to MOC, and this is my first post. My DW and I are looking to buy our first 5er next spring so we can get it (and us) broken in before starting to full time if I'm able to retire at the end of 2007--our hope/goal. We are looking seriously at Montys in large part because of the positive comments about them that I've been reading on this forum. The DW particularly likes the 3400 because of its kitchen layout. I like it as well but am troubled by its GVRW--I'm worried that the GVWR may be too low for the options I would like to get. I've tried to read all the threads I could find on this site about weight issues. They were extremely helpful, but I still have a few concerns I'd like to address. Here goes.

The 2007 (online) brochure, and the on-line spec sheet, state that the 3400's shipping weight is 11,650# and carrying capacity is 2325# for a GVWR of 13,925#. Rickfox reported that his delivered 2006 3400 weighed 11,860# without the Hi-Gloss gel-coat, dual pane windows, or 2d AC--and I assume without the generator since he didn't mention it. He did have the quad slide awnings (200#?), 1 battery, full propane tanks, fireplace, coffee table and only a small amt (10#) of water. Assuming I went with a similar package on a new 2007, that would leave only 2115# for personal gear, options, water, etc. Richfaa and others have suggested that one should expect personal gear for full-timing to be at least 1500#. While I might be able to start off with less, it seems logical to me to keep that as a target in light of the risk/probability that the weight of personal gear will grow over time. With that target, that leaves me only 615# below GVWR. If I were to fill up the fresh water tank and HW heater, that would be about 600# (72 gal. x 8.345#), meaning there is NO room for any of the big options like the hi-gloss gel coat, dual pane windows, washer/dryer, 2d AC, or generator (unless I put it in the truck). While I wouldn't normally expect to fill the FW tank unless boon docking, I would anticipate boon docking at least a few times while full timing--and certainly wouldn't want to preclude myself from doing so by having used up all my available GVWR with options. And even if I only fill the FW tank 1/3 the way, I could still be carrying 375-400# of liquids if you count in the 10 gal. in the hot water heater and at times upwards of 15-20 gal. in the black water tank (assuming I hadn't dumped the black water because the tank was only half-full or less). So if I'm reading the numbers right, I don't see how I can order any of these options without running the risk of being over the 3400's GVWR. So two questions:

1. Am I missing something here? Can someone show me where my numbers are all screwed up?

2. If my numbers are not all screwed up, can anyone tell me whether the GVWR number from Keystone is a real number such that, if I exceed it, it will damage the 3400 or expose myself to liability in the event of an accident.

Regarding my second question, I would normally take a manufacturer's rating seriously. But Keystone seems to be rather sloppy about weight info--e.g., until recently saying that hi-gloss added 600# rather than 200#, and having GVWR numbers in the earlier brochures that differed from the spec sheets. Plus the GVWR is still working out to be pin weight plus 12,000# even though Keystone has apparently upgraded from 6,000# axles to 7,000# axles. And I believe a number of posters on this forum have indicated that their pin weight exceeded 1975# without any reports of structural damage. Has anyone ever heard anything from a knowledgeable person at Montana that indicated that the pin weight, and the GVWR, have been carefully analyzed and in fact represent the limits (plus a safety factor) on how much load the structure of the 3400 can take?

I would really appreciate any insight or information anyone can provide to help me in trying to decide whether the 3400 is a viable option for us to consider.

David
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote