View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredetteb View Post
My wife has been pushing for me to replace the carpet as well. I would also like to know what brand/color of flooring you used.

How difficult was it to remove the old carpet? Is it glued or fastened anywhere?
Home Depot
Home Decorators Collection
Color was Cider Oak

To cut it, simply score it with a box cutter and bend it along the edge of a table. For cross cuts I use a triangle with a edge. For rip cuts I use a Steel ruler and hold it down firm with clamps to my work table.

As for the carpet:

It is easy in the larger area of the living room only having a few staples along the edges. HOWEVER, it is a royal pain where they go up sidewalls or under sofas on the slides. I think the guy who staples it to those areas owns stock in a staple supplier. No kidding under our sofa there must have been at least 75-100 staples. About 25% come up with the carpet, the rest you either have to pry out with a tiny screwdriver or drive them in with a hammer.

Also note there are some areas where they run the carpet BEFORE they add in walls and such. As in you can't get all the carpet out without taking out the walls. There is a solution: Grab the remaining carpet with a pair of pliers (helps if you double the carpet over and then grab it) then run your box cutter as close to the edge as you can as you pull up the carpet. There will be some threads of carpet remaining. You can pull them one at a time OR you can opt to MELT them back where they won't show with a heat gun!! I came up with this idea when I started to burn them away and decided that was too dangerous. The heat gun will melt the carpet fibers without a flame!

Vinyl plank also works well going up the side walls where they had carpet. Just tack it in with finish nails, very easy. If you want to spend a little money get a battery powered (cordless) finish nail gun it makes putting in the vertical vinyl and trim very easy! Mine is a Ryobi they sell at Home Depot.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote