View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The basis for CamillaMichael's facts are that brochures are very inaccurate. Each trailer may weigh differently because each trailer is equipped and loaded differently. You don't mention what model year's for the trailers you are looking at and my truck cannot tow the newer models. You cannot rely on payload, shipping weight or any other numbers in a document or spec sheet.

The best thing that works is look at the gross trailer weight rating, hope you stay under that and calculate 18% to 25% of that weight is going to be on your rear axle (and added to the gross weight as well). You may have read that one usually calculates 15% but this only works for horse trailers, cargo trailers or utility trailers. Residential trailers are 18% to 20% because of their large size at the pin and the amount of storage in front of the axles which quickly boosts the pin weight.

My '06 residential Montana is at 20% at the pin and I am only a casual RVer. Most others use their trailers much more than we do and would therefore carry more stuff. It sounds like you'll be using your trailer more than we do.

Also note, that items such as Timbrens or even air bags do NOT increase the weight carrying capacity of a TV. This is because these points might not be where the limitation exists. In all vehicles, there are many other factors besides the engine, trans, differential, wheels or tires that create the weight limit and the rear springs might not be where the weakness lies.

When I first got my rig I was overweight at the rear axle and the GVWR for my SRW Ford. The CGWR and tow ratings were fine. So if ANY point is overweight it's considered a problem. After lots of research and confirmation I was able to legally upgrade my truck to an F-350 to solve the weight rating problems successfully (new overload spring, the hardware for it, and some larger wheels and tires), but did not certify my truck for the new ratings because this was a huge expense I did not need. Instead I am limited to personal, non-commercial use and this is just fine for me. This cannot be done for all model year vehicles but I got lucky.

And now I wish good luck to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote