View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
I have a 1hp air compressor in my garage so I installed a 1000W inverter to run it. It wouldn't start the compressor so had to exchange it for a 3500W inverter. Mounted it to the ceiling joists in my garage. I made a U-shaped bracket out of 1/8 inch thick metal that the inverter sits in and is slightly larger than my inverter to protect it when I'm poking around in the garage with other items. I drilled 2 holes in the front wall of my garage for the cables to access my battery. I lined these holes with 2 PVC 60 degree couplers to protect the wire. The wire is 0 guage which is like heavy battery cables. I borrowed a crimper from Napa to install the brass ends on the wires. They didn't recommend my inverter be more than 3 feet from my batteries or it would degrade the performance of the inverter. I changed out my batteries for 2 12V Interstate dry cell batteries. It takes twice as many watts to start the compressor with cold oil in it as it does to run it. A C-Pap will run on a lot smaller inverter. I installed 2 paddle switches near these holes which allows me to turn both legs of the electricity off to the inverter when it is not in use so that there is no electricity in my garage when it is not in use.

My inverter is not pure sine wave which is a measure of how clean the electricity is that it produces. Some newer electronics will not run on inverters that is not pure sine wave. A pure sine wave inverter is a lot more expensive than one that is not. I purchased my inverter from Napa. I'm going to test run my C-Pap on my inverter and if it works, I'm going to install an outlet in my bedroom wall and run a wire from it to my inverter. Then when the power goes out, all I have to do is turn on the switches in my garage and I should be able to sleep for days.

When you say 2 12VDC Interstate dry cells, are you referring to AGM style batteries?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote