View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patodonn, there is no sales tax on vehicles in South Dakota. There is a 3% excise tax on the trade difference, which amounts to a 3% sales tax.

Registering our vehicles in South Dakota was around $200 for the TV and the Montana, total. Did you really mean yours cost three thousand?

We also are very pleased with Alternative Resources for our mail.

When we traded trucks in Kansas we handled the registration with South Dakota by internet. They did call me by phone because I screwed up on the for and we worked it all out over the phone. I was very impressed with the folks at the courthouse in Sioux Falls. They handle many fulltime rv'ers and welcome them. That makes it much easier.

We still bank in Topeka, KS, not is South Dakota. You do not have to bank where you hold residency. We bank by internet and by phone. Our bank has a telephone automated bill payment service we've used for twenty years or more.

Like Helen and Bill, we used Dougherty Insurance to get our insurance. They are an independent agency and searched for the best deals for us. We are very satisfied with the insurance we got and the price we paid.

South Dakota is issuing new vehicle tags this year. They will not mail those to a personal mailbox. We will get our new vehicle tags at renewal in August. When the time comes, we will let Tammy know and she will pick up the new plates and mail them to us, no additional charge. I know John Bozarth already had that done.

Helen, that was an excellent writeup.

I'm sure FL and TX and others are also excellent choices. You have to decide which best fits your own needs, including going to get the intitial setup. For us, South Dakota was and is an excellent choice. Be prepared, however, to answer those folks who come up to you and say 'where do you live in South Dakota' or "where in SD are you from?" It seems to happen frequently. South Dakotans seem to be a very friendly lot who like to run across fellow SD'ers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote