View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #34
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=The Bone;1100948]Funny how all the DRW guys add another fuel tank to there truck not that 38 or so gallons isn't enough fuel for them. Then they haul a 40' plus 5th wheel. Personally that wouldnt even work for me as I am on a cross country trip. So far I have driven 1,400 miles so far and mine is only 32'. I find all the new 5ers come with stuff i see no need for unless you live in them. All that stuff does is make them super heavy where you need a DRW but I would never go that way with a new 5er. The new trucks are so much better than trucks 5 years old with stability control they now have. I feel very safe with my SRW thank you very much[/QUOT

I get it, not everyone wants or needs a camper as large as ours. If your 32' fits you well that's good enough. And at only 32' you are probably just fine in an SRW (that's what I pulled my former 34' with but I will say again that the DRW did feel a LOT safer even with the 34').

As for us, we use our camper to pursue other adventures (like kayaking and motorcycles) and as such the toy hauler function of the HC 381TH fits us to a T. It also is well laid out when we have some of our 12 grandkids with us!!

While we are not quite ready for retirement and full timing, we do like have a camper that is roomy (last one we had was 32' and we felt cramped in it). I absolutely can't see us downsizing in retirement.

As for traveling with the larger camper, I really don't see much difference rolling down the highway. It is a bit more difficult to park and sometimes RV sites are a little harder to find but overall we are very pleased with our 5er. And amazingly enough the fuel mileage (as if you should be at all concerned about that if you own a 5th wheel) really isn't much different. At most maybe a 1/2mile per gallon or so.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys