View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Johnnyg is correct.

The water bib inlet provides water directly to the RV plumbing and bypasses the RV fresh water tank. The pressure of the water is provided by the "city" to the campground then to your rig. I guess that's how the term city came about even though it could be a County, National Park or something else providing the water pressure. It's just an expression that "stuck".

If you do not use a city water connection to provide the water pressure for your rig, the larger hole is used for filling up the fresh water tank. Ironically, you can use a city water supply to fill up the tank but not leave it connected to the RV's bib inlet. In this case, then the RV pump is turned on to pressurize the tank and provide the RV's fresh water while the city pressure is not connected. Each time a faucet, fixture, shower, etc. is opened the RV pump then operates to keep up the pressure to help the water to flow.

Using the RV fresh water supply will be limited to how big your tank is. This is often the way to use your RV in very cold climates since your RV's fresh water tank is enclosed and insulated and has less chance of freezing, unlike the exposed hose when connected to a "city water" hookup.

On edit : *Removed incorrect commentary*

Coincidently, I just came back from an RV trip on Monday after just talking about all this. This is also when I learned that it's a good idea to drain your hot water heater which I discussed in another topic. Good ole MOC... always teaching us the fine points of getting the best of our rigs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote