View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #43
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I don't understand how a manufacture can get away with just adding another spring and nearly doubling the trucks payload capacity.

Another thing I don't understand is why sooo many people buy a 3/4 ton truck when a 1 ton is say, only 1k more. Buy the time you add air bags/springs/timbrens or what ever, you could have saved all the time/effort and $$ and gotten a truck with enough payload capacity from the factory for beans more.

I know a lot of people don't like duallies for various reasons, will not fit in their garage/hard to park at the mall etc. but once you tow with one, you will more that likely kick yourself is the a-- for not doing it sooner.
One of the main reasons the manufacturers do this is because in some northern states there is a 10,000 pound rule for vehicle registration. Vehicles over that are charged MUCH higher rates than the ones at 10k and below. PLUS, a few of those states have it to where an F450 is a commercial vehicle no matter if it is privately owned and must have commercial tags. They must also carry commercial insurance. By making the slightest change in the truck, it enables all the Big # to get by these states so as not to have the customer penalized for owning a "3/4" ton truck that will do most everything a "1 ton" will do. It's purely a numbers game.