View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A couple of points I'd like to comment on. First ... Most fittings on our hydraulic systems are commonly called oring fittings. The thread is a straight thread (not tapered like old water pipes) with an oring under a nut and intregal flat washer. The orings get hard or torn ... without replacing the oring ... you can tighten the fitting all you want, but it will still leak. Pipe dope will do nothing.
Second ... I also work at a large manufacturing facility that has alot of hydraulics. Sadly many of the manufacturers whose names we are familiar with have gone by the wayside ... DoubleA, Schrader- Bellows, ISI, Oildyne. Yes many product lines are picked up by surviving companies ... that surviving company may go out the following year. Thru the progression of take overs, they don't support or manufacture all the previous manufacturers products. Parker for example is a big hydraulic / pneumatic company in the US, but right on most of its products is stamped "China". We've experinced a big decline in quality and longevity of products under the Parker label. The cylinders on our fivers are not exactly top of the line. Where I work, we've started getting some smaller replacement cylinders in now that are non-servicable. There are no snap rings or barrel rods ... they are sorta swedged or friction welded together and are throw aways when they fail. Some say right in the packaging non-servicable. Again, I'm not saying there are absolutely no kits out there, I'm saying it may be tough to find them to fit the quality of cylinders we have.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote