View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Nick's take is about the same as my take. I get between 8.9 and 10 mpg, depending on how I drive and where I drive. For a 1500 mile one way trip, the difference for me between $3 a gallon and $5 a gallon is about $400, so figure a round trip cost rounded up for variances is about $1000. I can cut back in other areas, stay longer for the weekly rate, use the camping clubs where possible, and other areas (like said - eating out). It is not going to stop me. It didn't stop me when I was pulling the Monty and it was over $4 a gallon. To us, we just figure if we can't afford an extra $1k, well we can't afford to RV.

However, you do have to look at a very bigger picture than just fuel. The fuel price the trucker pay mean that the prices for commodities are going to increase. So EVERYTHING is going to go up. That is where the big strain on the pocket book is going to come into play. I'm just gong to have to go with the flow until I can't afford it anymore. Then what? Sell the RV? Who's going to buy it. May as well set it up near by at a CG and rent it out cheap!

Edited: Hmmm! There's a thought. Everyone put the RV at one of their nearby CG,'s and we can rotate between them driving a car to each one.

What could we call that, "Trailer Trash Rotation?"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote