View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #8
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Not sure of what your preferences are as far as "camping" but let me take a slightly different tack.

To each his own for sure - but I hate RV parks and go out of my way to try and find somewhere with a bit more privacy so that while enjoying the luxuries of the RV life, I can still enjoy the great outdoors a bit like I did when I backpacked, camped etc.

In West Yellowstone you have Bakers Hole NF campground a few miles north of town. No reservations but a nice campground.

About 15 miles west of W Yellowstone on US 20 is Henrys Lake State Park in Island Park, ID.

Its a nice campground on a lake with great views. Not a lot of trees so its a bit like an RV park with more space between sites - but with the views and things to do in the area a decent option.

Numerous other NF campgrounds in the East and West areas as well - some with electric - that you could fit into and take reservations.

In Teton NP we like Gross Ventre Campground at the south end of the park. It's close to Jackson for day trips and good hiking in the area. A bit of a drive to the northern end of the park but you can usually find a spot - especially in May - without too much trouble.

I think Busy Carol gave a decent pro/con for Fishing Bridge. If you like RV parks than you probably wont mind it because of the central location. I might be wrong but I didn't they they were remodeling the sites to make them more big-rig accessible - I think they were just redoing some of the electric that was installed by Thomas Edison.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote