View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A Quartzite Question

I’d like to ask a question in reference to “Quartzsite” mostly for some friends, but also because I’ve become somewhat interested in the answers also. I’ve no intention to belittle anyone’s personal adventures / lifestyle on the MOC, but here it is straight out.
A couple of weeks ago some of our friends asked my better half (a rockhound at heart) to fly out to Quartzsite to meet then share a first time experience. These folks are retired seasoned RVers that don’t require full hookups by any means, but aren’t much on all out boondocking as they don’t own a generator. They decided upon Casa Del Sol RV park as home base for the experience. After 5 days, she flew back to Kansas to regale her adventure. Aside from seeing scads of rocks and minerals, they experienced a mostly naked guy running a shop in town, layers of dust on virtually everything, wind blown sand etching the truck and fiver, scores of hawkers lazily displaying decidedly common wares, wall to wall people under the “big tent” at the RV show, and as Milt put it, seemingly just a bunch of old hippies in dreadlocks scattered about here and there. Our friends checked off an item on their “bucket list” and see no reason to return.
What did they miss that others wait all year to return to? Is it just the comradery and available setting to rejoin old friends? Go ahead … let me have it