View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
A jumper would simply connect one side of the fusible socket to the other side making the electrical connection, rather than using a fuse. So, a jumper could have become dislodged.

Here's what I would do to try to troubleshoot the problem:

1) Connect 7-way to truck, with truck running. If voltage at battery is above 13.4 volts and if lights won't come on, then the problem is between your battery and the 12 volt distribution panel (or at the panel itself);

2) If after connecting the 7 way you have over 13.4 volts and the lights are on, then it could reasonably be expected that the converter is at fault;

If #1, then I would check connections at the battery - make sure they are clean and tight. I would also check the ground to the frame of the 5er from the battery. Keystone typically uses a self-tapping bolt without scraping the black paint off the frame which can cause a poor ground.

Also, you should have a resettable circuit breaker near the battery on the forward wall of the basement (in the front compartment). Perhaps this breaker has gone bad because of a short? You can easily test this by measuring the voltage prior and after the circuit breaker.

My best bet would be either the ground connection, or, more likely, the circuit breaker, because you stated you replaced the battery.

Good luck and I hope you can follow my rambling...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote