Thread: the factory
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have an appointment with the service center in July. We made the appointment a year ago, although making it that far in advance was for our convenience. We also were there in May of last year. In both cases we called with problems and they said they prefer to fix it in their place if we can get it there.

They are not a large outfit and cannot handle everyone who calls. Nor are they licensed as a retail service center. They can legally do nothing beyond bringing a rig back to factory specs.

The guy I talked to when we were there said sometimes when they hear of a problem they prefer to see it firsthand. That helps them identify a problem they can keep from happening in future rigs. They will ask you to bring the rig to the service center in that case. There are probably situations where they can fix it easier or more cheaply than going through a dealer. They may request a service center visit for those, too. I'm conjecturing on that one.

When we were at the service center there were a couple of people who just dropped in without an appointment. One needed a new roof. One had the flex frame problem. Our appointment was for Monday. Because of the dropins work on ours didn't start until Wednesday and was not done until the next Tuesday, the day after Memorial Day. Because of those folks who dropped in we had to drive 1400 miles roundtrip to Wamego, KS, from Goshen, IN, to make it to my folks' 60th anniversary celebration. The entire trip was at our expense. We had planned to be out of the service center in time to take our Montana to Wamego. So, we also had to get a motel room since my folks do not have the room.

Therefore, I do NOT suggest anyone just DROP IN at the service center. I, for one, do not appreciate that when it costs me both time and money when I already had an appointment. My opinion is if someone drops in they should be put at the very back of the list on an "as time available" basis and those of us who had the courtesy to make an appointment should not be delayed because of the drop ins. The exception would be a serious problem that cannot wait or endangers a life.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote