View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, my understanding is RVIA requires the little regulator to be there when for a new rig to get their sticker certification but there is no legal requirement for that regulator. The newer tanks have the builtin safety valve to prevent excess flow in case of damage so that little regulator is not needed for that reason. My understanding has been that its main purpose is to avoid tripping the safety valve in the offside tank when the valve is opened quickly. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

I guess I don't understand how not having the little red regulator on the off side could cause problems with the main regulator. Prior to a few years ago, none of the rigs had that little regulator. Our 2003 didn't. And I never had a problem with the main regulator. And no problems since I removed that little regulator on this Montana several years ago. I would think if this were a problem then all the older rigs would be eating regulators on a regular basis.

Don, I don't mean to dispute what you said. You sound like you know what you're talking about. But since I've had quite a few years with no problems and since they didn't used to have that second regulator at all, I just am not understanding it.

Another thing I wonder about is the strong flow causing liquid propane to migrate to the main regulator when the little regulator is not in place. There is no little regulator between the main regulator and the tank on that side and I'd think the shorter route between them would cause this same problem even more quickly. Obviously I'm missing something?

The one thing I do have to be careful about is that with the safety valves built into the tanks, if I open the valve too quickly it locks up that valve so no propane flows from the tank. Then I have to wait a bit for it to release. I just open that valve slowly and have no problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote