Thread: LT TIRES
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 AM   #30
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have so far stayed out of this debate because replacing tires on our RV's is so controversial. I will not recommend nor disagree with using an LT tire to replace "any" ST tire. I will however say this.

1) If your trailer is smaller and comes with 6000# axles and you never exceed your axle weight rating, then you will not reduce your carrying capacity by using an LT tire rated at 3042 lbs.

2) If your trailer is large and comes with 7000# axles that have already been down rated by Keystone to 6750 lbs because they are using tires that are only rated for 3402 lbs and you replace those tires with any load range E LT tire you further reduce your 7k axles down to 6k due to the capacity of the tire, why would anyone want to do that.

3) You cannot compare a "G" rated LT tire like the Goodyear G614 to any of the "E" rated LT tires, one is 14 ply and the others are only 12 ply rated.

4) IMHO You cannot compare how an LT tire performs on a vehicle for which they are designed with the performance of that same LT tire on a trailer axle, it is a whole different ball game.

I don't know what "china bombers" the OP has on his trailer but the Marathon is not and never has been rated at 3520 lbs, so one must assume they are some other ST tire brand. Most certainly 235/85R16 tires can be used to replace the 235/80R16 tires he currently has.
He might want to keep in mind there are other alternatives to the Goodyear G614 which are "G" rated and much less money.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote