View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
EMS Installation

I just installed the hard wire version of the EMS 50 amp voltage protection system. I have done a lot of electrical wiring through the years, so the installation was very straight forward. We have a 06 3500RL, and there was enough room behind the main panel to mount the unit to the floor. There was also more than enough of the 6 gauge power cord tucked into the floor that I didn't have to add any wiring. The unit came with the remote meter display, which I really like. It shows voltage and amperage on each leg of the 220, as well as system status (proper wiring of the external source).

I do not recommend anyone try installing this unit however unless you have experience. My installation involved removing the main breaker panel, disconnecting and removing the 6 gauge power cord, wiring the EMS and reinstalling/hooking back up the power. I also cleaned up the original ground and neutral wiring in the panel. None of this should be attempted by someone without a very good working knowledge of wiring!! The instructions are very good, although they do lack pictures, which would have been nice, and the unit is very well made. The only issue I have with the unit is the remote readout. It is connected to the main unit via a 4 strand telephone type connector. Because it plugs into the bottom of the unit, you will end up with a portion of the hole it feeds through showing below the unit. If they had made it plug into the back of the display, the hole would be hidden completely by the display. As is, if you are careful, very little of the hole will show and it will not be noticeable. Otherwise, an excellent unit! If anyone has questions, I will be happy to answer them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote