View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the post Kdeiss.

The pin weight is typically way off since the trailer isn't loaded yet so how could there be any specific pin weight and if the pin weight is documented at 2,100 lbs this is not even 15% (14.89%) of the gross weight which is where most new owners get themselves in trouble. I would imagine this is based on the shipping weight out of the factory where nothing has been put in it yet!

The pin weight for those specifications would be between 2,538lbs (18%) and 3525lbs (25%) and these are better numbers to use. The only time I approach my GTWR is when at a campground I have full tanks and a bunch of people inside. But I am not towing at those times and will dump my tanks before driving to keep the towing weight as low as possible. My actual driving weight (GTWR of 14040) is 13,500lbs and this is how I keep my pin weight under 20% to keep my "modified" TV happy.

Also keep in mind the shipping weight may NOT include options included after the weights are obtained at the factory like I mentioned before, larger propane tanks, a second A/C, washer/dryer, a generator, and all their extra brackets, wiring, plumbing, etc. Every added option adds weight somewhere and for a residential RV it's oftentimes at the front of the rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote