Thread: Digital TV
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Batwing works fine on our sets. I am personally holding off on replacing any thing because the UHf frequencies assigned right now to Digital will all drop down to the VHF frequencies once everything goes digital, with maybe a few exceptions.

According to DTV.GOV, you do not need a special antenna to receive digital television. However, you must remember that if you are in an area where reception is poor it will affect your quality. Also, most televisions and DTV converters have a signal strengh meter. Use it to "tune" your antenna by rotating it until you get the best signal strength. Then, rescan for digital channels.

Of course, with that all being said, the bigger and better the antenna, and the higher it is in the air, the better signal strength.

I have actually used an old style metal clothes hanger as an antenna on the back of a television. Not the best, but the signal was viewable. I have also used plain old twin lead (before cable and coax) with the lead split on the far end from the television with one side taped down over itself as a ground plain with acceptable results.

But the better may be a many element log periodic antenna, as far in the air as you can possibly get it and still be legal, with a good rotatory motor on it.

Edited: And don't forget that the reception of the tv signal can be blocked by structures around you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote