Thread: Can't stand it!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
All the heat when it comes on, goes upstairs to the master suite. It get stuffy while we wait for the main cabin to warm.

Looking for ideas to reverse this order and get the furnace to blow more in the main cabin. We like a cool bedroom and we would not mind if I could re-route ducts without any safety concerns.
We have the 3810, same as yours except the refrigerator. We had the same problem. What does heat do......it rises. Where is the bedroom.......UP a level. So, the heat goes up there. Here's what I did......first, went into the basement and routed the 2 inch flex duct to a diffuser on the wall. Yes, I'm heating the basement, but it's heated anyway, as it's part of the overall air return/system to the furnace. Second, I removed the 4 inch flex duct from the bedroom register and capped it off at the furnace (you can buy the metal plates from the dealer). Third, I got a close-able register for the bedroom and installed it. I removed the metal adapter in the basement that was attached to the floor. Now, if we want a bit of heat, I just open the register and let some of the basement heat into the bedroom. It's plenty enough for us. And, there is the 2 inch outlet in the bathroom as well. For those who think we're wasting heat, I disagree. The basement (on this model at least) is part of the general air return system for the furnace. It's an open area. the other option is to turn on just the fan on the bedroom AC (low speed) and let it pull some of the heat from the bedroom and shove it back into the living area. Both units serve a common duct. As a side note, I have installed a smoke detector in the basement as well. That area is where the furnace, hot water heater, converter, and a lot of wiring is, so I'd like a little advanced warning. Just the way I did things. Others will have different ideas!

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote