View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
LOL! No different than driving a big rig down the road @79,900 lb when 80,000 is max legal. Not to mention that the load is 48,000 of that and is hazmat to include liquid oxygen at neg 300F in a shotgun tank. Legal is legal.
I ran short haul with Hazardous (and I mean big time hazardous) oilfield chemicals myself loaded right up to the max. I have always considered myself LUCKY for the way we ran those trucks back in the day! I literally had nightmares about losing a load on I-20 around Shreveport, La. If you ever ran that stretch of road you know how rough it was back in the 70-80s. The guys in Longview,TX always laughed at me because I used double chains on the back of my loads (before rachet straps came along). But then I never lost a drum off the back either.

But we as campers are not trying to make money on a load so why push the limits? I can't tell the difference between a 3/4 ton and 1 tons ride and there isn't much difference in the price so why not step up to the next size truck just to get a little piece of mind that your well within safe towing capacity?

But most especially, when advising someone new to towing it is our RESPONSIBILTY to make sure they make not only a good economical choice but also a safe choice.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote