View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Some frames have a cross member right at the center point of the two axles. There is one fix I've seen in here that involved diagonal plates that took advantage of this cross member (welded). I think this is the best of all possible solutions.

My Big Sky doesn't have a cross member there so this wouldn't work for me. For obvious reasons, to Moryde at least, a fix that is 'universal' can't depend on that cross member so, da-da X-factor is born. It essentially forms a rectangle (for most folks) with one side being the x-factor, two sides being your equalizer box, and the fourth side being your flooring. Not the best.

I'm an engineer (electrical) but did sleep at many Holiday Inns and participated in many, many, courses of physics. If I was designing a 16,000 # dual axle trailer, it would have a cross member at each spring attachment with x bracing crossing the rectangles formed by the cross members. It would have diagonal gusset plates welded to the cross members and extending down to the lowest point of each hanger. If I was feeling lucky I'd also weld gussets from flange to web on both sides of the eye beams, over the hanger attachment points.

This would ensure no movement of hangers, ever. Of course the marketeers for my frame would string me up out by the dumpster and feed me to the alligators after I had sufficiently cured.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote