View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Update:

I brought the rig to LazyDays in Florida and had their warranty adjuster go over the problem. It's worse than I thought originally. Seems both sides are not plumb anymore and also the rubber in the equalizers is shot. The techs say this is from the unusual twist being applied to the rubber due to the bent boxes. It's all sort of shredded on the surface (should be smooth as a baby bottom).

So the fix is to replace both equalizers and add the Moryde cross brace (I think this is basically the X-factor). Lazydays is also going to add gussets to the I beam from flange to web on both sides of the beams.

The warranty authorization status is unknown at present.

The bummer is that once you start looking at this design it is so obviously deficient it makes your eyes bleed. The equalizer box is about 6 inches wide and is being welded onto a 3" flange. It is obvious that an I beam is not intended to be subjected to twisting forces on its flange. Worse, the forces applied by the springs are about 8" inches below this weld so the springs have a significant torque advantage on the flange.

My investigations have uncovered a history of attempted reinforcements by Keystone/Moryde/Lippert. First there was the vertical angles welded to the I-beam web ( my rig). Then the next year it seams there was the little box beam (about 3/4 square) welded in the corner above the box. Then there was a plate welded as a gusset from flange to web above the box. Finally there is the X-factor ???option???.

Why would one offer an option to 'strengthen' a good design. Is it to help the RVer who is taking his rig four wheeling? Is it offered to folks who will be driving on truck routes? Or is it offered to take the rig up to the specification it should have been meeting all along?

I think it's the latter myself! My guess is that; a few tight back ins, on a paved surface with good tires, with your brand new high tech keystone radiused front cap, made to facilitate tight turns, is all it takes to wipe out the sexy Moryde upgrade. For that matter, having your rig jockeyed around a few 90 degree turns at your friendly service center with the cool front mounted socket on the dealer tractor, is an even better way to get folks to sign up for the X-factor.

Makes you go hmmmmmmm.

The tech tells me that he's seen some of these so bad that they had fatigued the I-beam to failure and he had to weld steel plate the length of the beam to get the customer out of the shop.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote