Thread: Laptop GPS
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Andy, I have exactly the same dilemma as you. So I am the route planner, the driver, and the navigator. I use Streets and Trips on a laptop. Have also used Street Atlas, which is also good. I have a board strapped to the console lid extending closer to the dash. It is covered with velcro. The bottom of the laptop also has velcro on all the spaces where it won't cover cooling slots or keep a lid from opening. I thus can position the laptop as I want it. It works great. I really like having the large screen there. Both the above products use voice to clue me there is a turn coming up so I don't have to watch the laptop all the time. It's location is such that a quick glance takes no more time than would adjusting the AC or radio.

One thing I really like about S&T besides being the easiest I've ever used to plan a route, is a settting that keeps the next turn on the screen so the closer you come the more it zooms. As you approach the turn it is zoomed to where you can read street names, see which lane you need, etc. Automatically. Pretty sweet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote