View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchbb9 View Post
So based on the fact I had water leaking from under the RV, I have cracked my tank?

I suppose there is a VERY small chance the vent pipe in the top of the tank (which is usually held in by a type of putty compound) was pushed out, which would have released products from your flushing process without damaging the tank. But, I'm betting the outcome of this will be a tank replacement. A typical black tank has a L X W measurement of 20" X 40" = 400 square inches. With just 6 psi of overpressure (because the drain is closed), this results in 2400 pounds of lifting pressure applied to the tank's top. Yes, there is a vent in the top of the tank that extends to the camper's roof, but it takes approximately 6 psi of pressure in the tanks to cause the water to rise to the roof (.434 psi per foot of rise). If the black tank's contents were to block the vent, just imagine what the garden hose supplying 50 psi to the tank's 400 square inches could exert to the tank's top (400 X 50 = 20,000 lifting pounds. After emptying my black tanks, I have on occasion closed the tank dump to partially fiil the tanks for a second flush, BUT, I always set my smart phone's timer for no more than 2 1/2 minutes so I don't get distracted and forget. It's risky to do this without a fail proof reminder!
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote