View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #42
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We've had 4 tire issues on our Montana which required a roadside change. I started with a 10T Craftsman bottle jack, a bunch of short 10" lengths of 2 X 10's, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. The first tire I changed I had the jack on about 6 2 X 10's, jacked it up as high as it would go and it wasn't high enough. Had to use all of the blocks I had along with some of my leveling boards to drop the RV back down on so I could block the jack higher and jack again. So I bought a 2nd 10T Craftsman bottle jack so that I could just set the 2nd jack on higher blocks and continue jacking. You have to remember that when the tire is flat, the RV is going to be sitting lower and your jack will have to jack farther than if both tires were aired up. I have since bought the tear drop that you can put under the good tire and back or drive onto to help raise the RV some before jacking. A friend suggested I check the oil level in my jacks and they were a little low.

The lug nuts on my dually 3500 are long and they turn hard all the way on and off. So I carry a Craftsman cordless torque wrench also. It looks just like an impact wrench. I break the nut with a breaker bar and then use the cordless. I'll put the nut on with the cordless and finish with the manual torque wrench. And if you happen to have a torque wrench with a digital readout, make sure you have extra batteries for it.

I carry a 3 foot x 5 foot old rubber backed rug my wife was going to discard to lay on under the RV. It comes in handy in the mud and sand burs.

I also carry one of those colorful vests to wear while monkeying around under the RV, not that the traffic will move over or slow down, but maybe they'll see what they are htiting.

We also have Good Sam Ins but as long as I can, I'd rather change my own tires.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote