View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Hi Glenn,

If you have a DSL or Cable modem you can purchase a 4 port wireless router that connects to the DSL or Cable port and then connects wirelessly to your PCs. (this assumes that your PCs have wireless cards. This is the typical hookup in homes with more than one PC. Look for brands like Linksys, Netgear or D-Link. For what it's worth you can get the same kind of router that is not wireless but then you need to run ethernet wiring around your Montana and that's a pain. I have seen these routers selling for about $40.00 and up and the wireless USB cards selling for about the same. Be aware that these routers and cards come in 802.11b and 802.11g versions. The 802.11g routers cost a bit more but allow faster traffic on their network. This doesn't matter for stuff coming from outside which is limited to less than 10mb but it will help if you are moving big files between your PCs (or backing up your PCs across the network).

If, (as HamRad) you are connecting via a wireless phone card, I can only assume that the PC connected to his wireless phone card is acting as a software router for the other PCs. In that case you won't need the wireless router at all.

Gee, and I thought we were doing good because we had two TVs......

PS Just read the other thread and I guess this is mostly redundant.....
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote