View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
A good post Stiles!
I agree. We thought at 1st that the fireplace was a frill but have come to count on it as an integrated part of our heating process for the Monty.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

What you get in a fifth wheel is very, very personal. Everything is a trade off. Example: If you include a washer/dryer, either stacked or combo unit, you lose the space for something else. Since we fulltime, we find the w/d to be essential, but we lost the closet space to accommodate it.

We bought a new Big Sky off the dealer lot, so it already had a fireplace. Now I am happy we have it. I thought it was just a frill and virtually useless. I was wrong. It has become an integral part of our heating protocol saving us propane costs. On most winter days, it provides enough heat along with the ceramic heater for colder days.

Full timers have to take it all with them, so learning what you really need is essential. We continue to trim what we haul around. If it has been in the closet or drawer for over a year, you probably don't need it in the first place. Having the courage to get rid of "perfectly good" stuff is key to lightening the load.

For us, a double wide refrigerator is more important than the one extra foot of cabinet space. Even with the double wide, we have to plan what we are able to buy to fit the space.

One critical area for decision is the kitchen, particularly what kind of small appliances to include, i.e., blender, coffee maker, toaster oven, food processor, knife rack, electric skillet, crock pot, etc., and how you travel with your choices. A RV is not a 1500 or 2400 sq ft home, so the economy of scale must be different.

If you are a weekender or part timer, then you just plan the trip and put in what you need for that tour. You can swap out what you carry for the next trip. How you will use the RV will determine the considerations that challenge you. Remember, you don't have to justify your choices to anyone but yourselves. I have seen some posters that sound as if they have to do that. If it fits you, it is good.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote